Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Avery's first day of school

Today was a real wake up call for me. Avery started preschool. She has been looking forward to this day for weeks. Last night we gave her a few school supplies for her back pack, a fathers blessing and I tied her hair in rags so it would be curly, all in anticipation for this exciting new day. She woke up early and said to me "mom, don't let me forget my back pack okay." As I looked at her before she left me I realized that Avery is no longer a baby, not even a toddler but a little girl. She is almost 4 years old and is completely her own little person. I was excited for her and also looking forward to having more one on one time with Taylor. While Ave was at school, Taylor and I went shopping, to the park and the library. I forgot how easy it was to only have one little person to carry around instead of two. We did miss Avery though. Taylor was excited to see Avery but I don't think Avery missed us that much. She loved her teacher and during lunch shared all of the things she learned today. I am excited for Avery to enter this new phase of her life but I don't know if I am really ready to let my baby go. It is just a point in life that all parents have to come to and that is letting our babies slowly become their own little person. Heaven help me!


4 comments:

Carol said...

Oooooo, such a special step in the journey of life! I remember Dale's first day at 'play school'. I had spent time letting him know that I would be leaving him at the door and not going into the room with him, but reassuring him that I would be back. I was thinking he would be abit nervous, but he just ran off, all smiles. I was the one with a few tears! My baby going to 'school'.
Obviously, it's much better when they're happy about it. Us mums can cope!!!!!

Becca said...

oh my word, look at her all ready for her first day of school-she's so adorable! i can't believe she's in pre-school--what a fun new chapter of life!

Unknown said...

Exciting days!! I can't believe she has started already, my pre-schooler doesn't start until Sep.1st. Pre-school is easy, it is Kindergarten that is hard and then 1st grade, after that it gets easy again!! Good Luck!!

Marni Bown said...

She looks so cute with her curly hair. I can't believe that she is in school already...time flies.