Thursday, September 18, 2008

LOTOJA 2008



I am so proud of Shon. A couple of weeks ago we went up to Logan, UT for the annual LOTOJA bike race. It is from Logan, UT to Jackson Hole, WY and it is 206 miles long. Shon signed up for the lottery and didn't think he would be selected but to his surprise he was. He didn't really want to do the race, but after paying the money to enter there was no way he would let that go down the drain. Shon trained every week with Dave his step dad and some other neighborhood riders. The race started at 6AM and was "officially" over at 8:30PM. The only goal that Shon had was to finish the race before dark. Kerri and I provided support to Shon and Dave. At each food stop we gave them food and water. Then along the way we would drive by and scream and cheer them on. Then we would pull over a few miles ahead of them and stand on the side of the road cheering them along. I asked Kerri if I was the annoying "cheerleader" and she said no way because they need that encouragement and support along the way. Once a cheerleader....always a cheerleader I guess! They crossed the finish line just 14 seconds before the race was over. It was such an exciting experience for both of us. I am so proud of my husband. He has so much determination and is capable of accomplishing anything he really desires. There were a few times that I became emotional because I knew how difficult it was for him and I was limited in my ability to help him. I asked Shon if he planed to do it again and he said "Never!" I guess he would rather play golf then train for the bike race all summer. I am proud of you Shon! Way to go.


*Funny Side note** So after the race I found out that one of the riders that trained with Shon all summer long is a sister to my good friend from high school, JR Peterson! This is a picture of his sister Natalie with Shon and Dave after the race!

6 comments:

Jut and Char said...

Way to go Shon! Congrats. I've been waiting most the summer for this post to see how it went, I'm glad it went well for you.

Jut

keelfam said...

WooHoo Shon! Great Job! I wish I had the ability to ride a few miles on my bike (well,I would have to buy a bike first! LOL) I'm sure Shon was only able to finish because of the great cheerleader he had! Way to go Emily!

{Brooke} said...

Emily I really enjoyed your last post from your gratitude journal. I needed it

Diana Beck McCarty said...

That's totally INSANE! Congrats Shon.

Lanes said...

nice work shon! that is a gnarly ride i hear. em, it was so fun to see all those pics of you cute girls on your nyc trip. how fun!

Steve and Megan said...

Congrats Shon (and Dave)!!! You guys are amazing!