Monday, April 7, 2008

General Conference

Spring is here. It seems like it has come so fast this time around. I love General Conference because it always triggers in my mind that warm weather is around the corner. I am really hoping for warm weather since it has been so darn cold lately.

So, General Conference weekend was so great. Shon's brothers family came into town. It was fun to get our families together and see our kids play. We had a few battles with "sharing" among our little ones but other then that it was very fun. I loved so many things about conference. It was a wonderful experience to be able to stand in front of my T.V. and sustain our new prophet. It was great because I knew that millions of people all over the world were doing the same thing. Amazing. I felt such a powerful feeling and the Spirit confirm to me that Pres. Monson is chosen by Jesus Christ to lead His church. That is very powerful when I reflect about this. A group of men didn't vote for him, he didn't "run" for this position, rather, he was chosen, just like every single prophet that we read about in the Bible and Book of Mormon were chosen. I find great comfort and peace in knowing that I am following a man that has been chosen by the Lord to lead His church.

So, there were so many powerful and amazing talks that were given at conference. I loved Elder Hollands talk about the reason why we Are Christian because of the Book of Mormon. No one could have delivered this talk better then him. I can't wait to read it again. I also loved Elder Ballards talk regarding mothers...particularly young mothers (ME). I really needed to hear this talk. It is nice to know that I am not alone and that what I am trying to accomplish inside the walls of my home is important. Sometimes I feel like I am not getting through to my kids. I often wonder, "do they really understand?" "Are they getting anything that I am saying to them?" Then all of a sudden I have a moment where I see their growth and the beautiful god given children that they are and my heart melts. I am so overwhelmed with love for my little kids that I no longer care about the messes that need to be cleaned or the laundry that hasn't been folded. I loved it when Elder Ballard said that rewards for being a mom will come a little at a time and to enjoy those moments (I am paraphrasing). Today, amid chaos, I found myself praying for those moments to come, and they did. Being a mom is great. Being a wife is wonderful. Shon is a great man. I really don't deserve him. I hope he knows how much I do appreciate him and love him. I am grateful for the gospel and the eternal plan that my Father has for us. Knowing this helps me continue to press forward. I feel like I have the shot in the arm to make it another 6 months until the next General Conference!!

2 comments:

Becca said...

I know, wasn't that talk by Elder Ballard the best? I think it was something we all needed hear during this crazy stage of life-a great reminder to just enjoy it while it lasts!

Tiffany said...

Emily! I miss your entries! I hope all is well!