Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Avery's swim lessons



We started swim lessons last week. I wanted Avery to take her lessons from Raylene Thueson, a long time family friend (thanks to her, I met my husband) and I was so excited to find out that she was still teaching. I learned to swim when I was a little girl from Raylene and I want my girls to also have the same opportunity. When Avery started last week, she was very excited, maybe a little nervous but was very good about going into the water. Then as the week progressed she became a bit more anxious and threw a big fit. She cried and I almost cried out of embarrassment. We had a talk with her and explained that she is a big brave girl and needs to learn to go into the water with out crying. Well, the beginning of this week, Avery started crying and cried the entire lesson. The teacher asked me to leave so that she wouldn't want me! Oh... I was so embarrassed, but I knew that it was more of Avery exercising her strong will then her fear of water. So, I told her that if she didn't cry and participated in swim lessons then I would get her an ice cream cone from McDonald's afterwards. Well, Avery must think that ice cream is the best thing ever because she LOVES swim lessons now. She doesn't cry, she waves to me from the pool and just loves it. Avery has one strong will but I think I have found her weakness (for now). Needless to say, I think we have successfully gotten her past the "fear" of swimming to excitement. Here are a few pics.

No comments: